What are Port Property Management’s rental requirements?
Port Property Management requires:
- A sufficient Risk Score- this “risk score” is a number that is calculated by a third party processing center using your credit score from all three credit bureaus. A Risk Score below 620 requires a cosigner.
- Proof of income: Your gross monthly income must be at least two and a half times the monthly rent. If you are employed and/or don’t meet our income criteria, you will need to have a qualified co-signer.
- Last month’s rent deposit equal to one-month’s rent: This deposit will remain on file with your apartment until your tenancy/responsibility ends and will be applied to your last month’s rent.
- A security deposit: The amount will range from $300 up to one full month’s rent. The amount is determined by your Risk Score results. A lower Risk Score will result in a higher security deposit, while a higher Risk Score will result in a lower security deposit.
- First month’s rent payment.
For more details about rental requirements, see the full Rental Policy.
What if I don’t have any credit?
If there is no credit history (or “N/A” appears on your credit report), you would be required to obtain a cosigner.
How do I set up an appointment to view an apartment? Can I look at more than one?
We encourage you to check out all the apartments we have available on our website here and pick out a few that match what you are looking for. We can then schedule an appointment for you to look at the apartments in the same showing; call 207-775-5673 to schedule for Portland and 207-799-7469 for South Portland.
How do I apply for an apartment?
Click here to find the rental policy and access applications.
How can I check the status of my application?
If you have completed your application for an apartment in Portland, and you have paid the application fee and holding deposit, you can check on the status of your application by calling 207-761-0832, ext. 1119, between the hours of 8:30 am and 4:00 pm Monday through Friday. If you have applied for an apartment located in South Portland, call 207-799-7469.
Will having a roommate affect my rent?
To prevent overcrowding and undue stress on plumbing and other building systems, we restrict the number of people who may reside in an apartment. In determining these restrictions, we adhere to all applicable fair housing laws. All advertised prices are based on one to two tenants per bedroom. An additional resident per bedroom may reside in the apartment, with PPM’s written approval, if occupancy guidelines permit.
I’ve found an apartment I want to rent; what’s my next step?
If you would like to rent and hold an apartment, you can do so with a holding deposit of $1,000 and a rental application (including the $35 application fee). The $1,000 will become your last month’s rent on file at your lease signing. You must sign your lease within 30 days of your application’s approval. If your application is declined, we will return your original deposit. If you meet our criteria, we will let you know that your application is approved. If you change your mind about renting the apartment within the 24 hours of your application and deposit being submitted, we will refund the original deposit. If you decide after the 24 hours has expired that you will not rent the apartment, your deposit will be forfeited.
If you have a dog, we must meet your dog prior to accepting a holding deposit and application. This includes those moving from away. Unfortunately, we are unable to schedule an apartment viewing until we have met and approved your dog.
What is PPM’s pet policy?
PPM Pet Policy:
- Residents are permitted to have up to 2 pets total per apartment.
- There are some breed restrictions for dogs.
- All dogs must be at least 1-year old.
- All dogs and cats must be vaccinated and spayed/neutered.
- We require a meeting with all dogs prior to accepting an application or holding deposit. We approve/decline dogs based heavily on demeanor. If a dog barks, is shy, timid, and isn’t approachable or friendly at all, we will need to decline the dog.
Please see the FULL pet policy here.
Does PPM accept housing subsidies?
We do accept housing subsidies. We also provide affordable housing options through the Low Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) program.
I have a lease signing scheduled; when should I put the utilities that I pay for into my name?
If you are responsible for your own heat and/or hot water and/or electric and/or water sewer, you should have these utilities put into your name before your lease signing to ensure that they are all on when you want to start moving into your apartment.
Do I have to move into an apartment on the first of a month?
You must schedule your lease signing within 30 days of your application being approved, but you do not have to move in on the first of a month. If you move in partway through the month, your rent for that month will be pro-rated. After that, your rent will be due by the 1st of each month following.
Do I have to sign a year lease?
We do require a signed 1-year lease for most properties. If you are looking for a shorter lease, please contact our leasing department.